Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express is a powerful and reliable free data management system that delivers a rich and reliable data store for lightweight Web Sites and desktop applications.
Note:There are multiple files available for this download.Once you click on the "Download" button, you will be prompted to select the files you need.
The Microsoft® SQL Server® Express is a powerful and
reliable free data management system that delivers a rich and reliable
data store for lightweight Web Sites and desktop applications. Designed
for easy deployment and rapid prototyping, this download includes
support for Sysprep, Microsoft's System Preparation Utility for
Microsoft Windows operating system deployment.
- LocalDB (MSI installer)
- New to the Express family, LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all its programmability features, yet runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and short list of pre-requisites. Use this if you need a simple way to create and work with databases from code. It can be bundled with Application and Database Development tools like Visual Studio and or embedded with an application that needs local databases.
- Express (Containing only the database engine)
- The core Express database server. Use this if you need to accept remote connections or administer remotely.
- Express with Tools (with LocalDB) Includes the database engine and SQL Server Management Studio Express)
- This package contains everything needed to install and configure SQL Server as a database server. Choose either LocalDB or Express depending on your needs above.
- SQL Server Management Studio Express (Tools only)
- This does not contain the database, but only the tools to manage SQL Server instances, including LocalDB, SQL Express, SQL Azure, etc. Use this if you already have the database and only need the management tools. This package includes LocalDB.
- Express with Advanced Services (contains the database engine, Express Tools, Reporting Services, and Full Text Search)
- This package contains all the components of SQL Express. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services.
- Attended Installation – an interactive user interface will guide you through the set-up process and obtain all of the information and consent required to complete the installation. This includes the displaying, acknowledgement, and archiving of the applicable SQL Server license terms.
- Un-attend Installation – this is a Windows command line set-up
process that does not have an interactive user interface to guide you
through the set-up process.
In this case, you will be required to enter a parameter during
installation that indicates your acceptance of the license terms.
Here is the copy of the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 License Terms for your review.
Note : The Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express has two different methods to complete the installation process:
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- 32-bit systems
- Computer with Intel or compatible 1GHz or faster processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended.)
- 64-bit systems
- 1.4 GHz or faster processor
- Minimum of 512 MB of RAM (2 GB or more is recommended.)
- 2.2 GB of available hard disk space
- Step 1: Enable
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1. and
Download and install
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0.
- Note: LocalDB does not require any .NET Framework installation.
- Note: SQL Server Express (with database engine only) can work
with either .NET 3.5 SP1 or .NET 4, there is no need to have both
Note: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. SQLEXPR32_x86 is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server Express onto only 32-bit operating systems. SQLEXPR_x86 is the same product but supports installation onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WoW) operating systems. SQLEXPR_x64 is a native 64-bit SQL Server express and supports installation onto only 64-bit operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages. Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express is not supported on IA64 systems.